Our People: Employment Information

Image

Our people are at the core of CNCo’s business operations. We are committed to providing a continuous learning environment where employees are empowered to reach their highest potential. We value our multinational workforce and actively promote an inclusive and diverse workplace with a strong focus on safety excellence.

Employment information

As at the end of 2017, the CNCo group employed 3,076 people in various locations around the world. Our employees come from 49 countries.

999 of our employees were shore-based, while the remaining 2,077 (945 Officers and 1,132 crew members) were seafarers. Our seagoing team continued to grow in line with the increase of the size of our fleet; it grew 26% year-on-year from 2016 (note: each full-time employee position on a ship requires more than one person to fill as a proportion of crew are on leave at any time). Our shore-based employee numbers increased by 34% in 2017 as we continued to grow our global operations and established / transitioned new offices in Fiji, New Caledonia and Samoa, resulting an increase of 107 personnel.

Our business strategy continues to focus on growing our global operations. CNCo’s expansive geographical footprint covers offices across Australia, Canada, China, Fiji, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa and American Samoa, New Caledonia, Taiwan, Singapore, United Kingdom and United States of America.

The geographical breakdown of our office employees by key* (*over 5% of total global employee count) locations: Singapore (Head Office) – 30.5%, Papua New Guinea – 19.6%, Australia – 12.8%, and New Zealand – 12.2%, Fiji – 8.2%, China – 7.1% with the remaining 9.5% based in Canada, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, New Caledonia, Samoa, Taiwan, United Kingdom and United States.

97% of our shore-based workforce were employed on a full-time basis. The number of employees who were “contractors” is very low (3%) and most of them are skilled professionals working as consultants on a contract basis to assist with projects such as the implementation of new IT systems.

Note:
Some seagoing employees, particularly all our Filipino seafarers, are employed, as required by the Philippine law and managed by the Philippine Oversea Employment Agency (POEA) on a contract by contract basis. We do not classify these as “contractors” as all Overseas Filipinos Workers, be they seamen, doctors, nurses, etc. are employed on this basis.

22% of our shore-based employees were in management roles, with the remaining 78% in support functions.

94% of our office workforce were classified as “local”, similar to 2016 figures. We define “local” as those who are a national or permanent resident of the country of employment. 4% were classified as “expatriates”.

Around 43% of this expatriate employee percentage are parent company managers who have a centrally-planned rotation through internal postings within the wider Swire group. The rest are employed as industry experts and have long-term careers with the Company worldwide.

Globally, all our contracts comply with the relevant local employment laws. We continue to provide benefits that are additional to local legislations such as medical insurance for shore-based employees. For all seafarers this include private healthcare, life insurance and paid pension arrangements (or cash in lieu).

CNCo seafarers are covered by a collective bargaining agreement (CBA) or equivalent. All contractual conditions are in accordance with the International Labour Organisation (ILO) Maritime Labour Convention (MLC) 2006.

The number and rates of employee hires and employee turnover can be found here.

Employee turnover remains a valuable indicator of the Company’s sustainability and is an on-going area of focus for the Company. Overall employee retention in 2017 for shore-based employees was 85% and 93% for seagoing employees (officers and crew). Both shore-based and seagoing employee retention rates remain consistent y-o-y.

We continue to monitor and analyse turnover rates against national average figures and in light of changes within the business and the industry. We conduct exit interviews and seek to rectify any firmly trending reasons for turnover where they are viable and within our control.

As at the end of 2017, the CNCo group employed 3,076 people in various locations around the world. Our employees come from 49 countries.

Image
Image
94% of our office workforce were classified as “local”, similar to 2016 figures. We define “local” as those who are a national or permanent resident of the country of employment.
Image
Image
Image

Geographical spread of CNCo group sea personnel


Our seagoing employees come from 30 countries, an increase from 22 in 2016.



Image